1. To acquire the understanding of the structure of the main types of organic molecules;
2. To acquire the understanding of the different types of isomerism and their implications in biological activity;
3. To acquire the understanding of the main mechanisms of reaction of organic molecules;
4. To understand the importance of the mechanisms of reaction of organic molecules in the biochemical processes that occur in the vegetal cell;
5. The competences will be applied and explored later in the other subjects more specific.
Theoretical program- 1-The carbon: Hybridization. Resonance. 2-Nomenclature. Alkanes. Alkenes. Alkynes. Aliphatic cyclical hydro-carbons and Aromatic. Alcohol and Phenols. Ethers and Epoxides. Aldehydes. Ketones. Carboxylic Acid. Salts. Esters. Anidride. Nitrogen compounds. Heterocyclic’s compounds. Pirimidinic bases. Organometallic compounds. Nitro derivatives. 3. Isomerism: Constitutional; Stereoisomerism; Conformational; Geometric; Optic Isomerism. 4. Acid-base reactions. 6. Reactions: of nucleophilic substitution; elimination reactions; addition, aromatic compounds. Practical program- Identifications of organic compounds. Melting and boiling point. Extraction of iode. Paper and column chromatography. Distillation. Refractometry. Spectrophotometry. theoretical-practical: Resolution of exercises related with the subjects given in the theoretical lessons. Clarification of concepts.
The classes are expositive, sometimes with PowerPoints, but the most part times using the blackboard.
Laboratorial lessons: 2 hours per week for group. The number of groups depends on the number of pupils.
All students work in laboratory.
A. C. Fernandes, B. Herold, H. Maia, A. P. Rauter, J. A. R. Rodrigues, Guia IUPAC para a Nomenclatura de Compostos Orgânicos. Tradução Portuguesa nas Variantes Europeia e Brasileira (Tradução do livro: R. Panico, W.
H. Powell, J.-C. Richer, A Guide to IUPAC Nomenclature of Organic Compounds – Recommendations, 1993,
Blackwell, Oxford, 1993), Sociedade Portuguesa de Química/Lidel, Lisboa, 2002.
FELTRE.,2004- Química Orgânica, vol. 3. Editora Moderna. Brasil.
SOLOMONS& FRYHLE, 2007 – Química Orgânica, 8ª ed LTC, vol 1.e vol 2, LTC, Rio de Janeiro