1. To become familiar with the key concepts and theories appropriate to the understanding of the nature of psychosociological phenomena associated with child and youth condition.
2. To characterize childhood and youth in Portugal and in the Azores, based in the current state of research in this field.
3. To question the social dynamics of transformation of the family and school, as key socialization institutions of children and young people.
4. To reflect on the social and cultural diversity and social inequalities that mark childhood and youth, as well as the tensions that are inherent in them.
5. To address issues related to the challenges that the knowledge society places in the process of socialization of children and young people.
6. To acquire theoretical and empirical tools that can help to improve the professional practice
7. To develop reflective and collaborative skills.
1. Childhood and youth as objects of study: concepts and perspectives
2. The children's condition and youth in Portugal and the Azores
3. The role of children and young people in family and at school
4. Children and young people in the knowledge society
5. Children and young people: dispositional pluralities and social inequalities
6. Children and youth at risk
The contents are worked in classes through the following methods: (i) lecture of the subject by the teacher; (ii) discussion of issues presented to the class by the teacher; (iii) presentation and discussion of texts, under the coaching of individual students; (IV) theoretical and practical sessions oriented to the exploration and discussion, based on the working group, having as focus texts already worked out in the writhen work or from other resources (movies, documentaries, etc.).
The evaluation is based on three elements: (i) individual paper, focusing on a critical reflection of two relevant texts to deepen tissues relating to course content; (ii) promotion of a session in class, from the focus point of the texts worked on the paper; (iii) participation in class.
Abrantes, P. (2003). Os Sentidos da Escola. Identidades Juvenis e Dinâmicas de Escolaridade. Oeiras: Celta.
Almeida, A. N. et. Al. (1999). Sombras e marcas: os maus tratos às crianças na família. Análise Social, 34(150), 91- 122.
Almeida, Ana N. (2009). Para uma Sociologia da Infância. Lisboa: ICS.
Cunha, Vanessa (2007). O lugar dos filhos. Lisboa: ICS.
Diogo, A. M. (2008). O investimento das famílias na escola. Oeiras: Celta.
Figueiredo, A. et al. 1999). Jovens em Portugal. Oeiras: Celta.
Lopes, J. T. (1997). Tristes Escolas. Porto: Afrontamento.
Pais, J. et al. (2011). Jovens e rumos. Lisboa: ICS.
Pais, J. M., & Cabral, M. V. (1998). Jovens Portugueses de Hoje. Oeiras: Celta.
Rocha, G. et al. (1995). Juventude Açoriana. P. Delgada: SRJECIE//D. Regional da Juventude.
Sarmento, J., & Veiga, F (2010). Pobreza infantil. V. N. Famalicão: Húmus.
Sarmento, M. J, & Cerisara, A. B. (2004). Crianças e Miúdos. Porto: Asa Editores.
Vieira, M. (2007). Escola, jovens e media. Lisboa: ICS.