1. Apprehend the concept of educational psychology and its fields of application.
2. Understand conceptual frameworks regarding learning, motivation, educational and vocational guidance, communication and interpersonal relationships.
3. Develop critical thinking about the application of psychological processes in educational contexts in order to develop skills, attitudes and practices that may help intervention in such contexts.
4. Understand that educational intervention must be based in scientific knowledge.
5. Value observation, research, analysis, thinking and action in educational reality, from a psychological point of view.
I. Introduction and principles
1. The emergence of Educational Psychology.
2. Main research topics in Educational Psychology.
II. Educational interveners.
1. Students: the process personal and interpersonal development.
3. Family: educational styles and their implications.
4. Teachers and teacher behavior: intellectual and socio-cognitive variables.
5. Educational psychologists: scientific, technical and interpersonal skills.
1. The concept of learning.
2. Learning and memory.
3. Learning and motivation.
4. Learning and creativity.
5. Learning strategies.
IV. Vocational guidance in education.
1. Theories and models.
2. Vocational guidance in childhood, adolescence and adulthood.
3. Psychological counseling in schools.
V. Communication and behavior management.
1. The importance of communication in education.
2. Indiscipline, disruption and bullying.
This course is organized in lectures (30h) and theoretical-practical classes (30h), combining teacher-centered methodologies, based in dialogue and display, with student-centered methodologies, based in research (conducted in or outside the classroom), group discussion and peer work.
Arends, R. (2008) Aprender a ensinar. Lisboa: McGraw-Hill de Portugal
Caldeira, S. N. & Veiga, F. (2011) Intervir em situações de indisciplina, violência e conflito. Lisboa: Fim de Século
Caldeira, S.N. (2007) (Des)Ordem na escola. Mitos e realidades. Coimbra: Quarteto
Caldeira, S.N., & Rego, I. E. (2007) Episódios de vida na escola. Coimbra: Quarteto
Caldeira, S.N., & Rego, I. E. (2007) Objectos voadores e outras histórias de indisciplina. Coimbra: Quarteto
Miranda, G. & Bahia, S. (2005) Psicologia da Educação. Temas de desenvolvimento, aprendizagem e ensino. Lisboa: Relógio D’Água
Ormond, J. E. (2008) Educational psychology. Developing learners. NJ: Pearson
Santrock, J. W. (2008) Educational Psychology: NY: McGraw Hill
Slavin, R. (2006) Educational Psychology. Theory and Practice. NJ: Pearson
Taveira M. C. (2005) Psicologia Escolar. Uma proposta científico-pedagógica. Coimbra: Quarteto
Woolfolk, A., Malcolm, H., & Wlakup, V. (2008) Psychology in education. Harlow: Pearson