1. To reflect on the importance of mathematics and its role in the acquisition of skills and knowledge by children
2. To discuss the didactic approaches to mathematical education
3. To understand children's learning processes in order to identify the elements inherent in these processes and the intended learning outcomes
4. To plan didactics sequences in given contexts, based on content from different curricular approaches and programs
5. To select materials (structured and nonstructured) and technology in order to facilitate learning.
6. To know how to use oral and written communication to stimulate mathematical reasoning and representation and to give children the opportunity to express their mathematical ideas
7. To solve problems in the classroom using preferentially the Pólya method procedures
8. To use mental calculation strategies as well as tradicional algorithms
9. To report the results of learning experiences demonstrating research skills and individual autonomy.
1. The importance of didactics in mathematics for learning mathematical skills and clarification of educational objectives.
2. Curriculum guidelines for mathematics in Pre-school and in the first Cycle of Elementary Education according to present educational policy.
3. Different approaches to mathematical education.
4. Expectations of children regarding mathematical knowledge.
5. Conceptualization of processes in the learning of mathematics as regards number operation, geometry and measurement and the organization and treatment of data.
6. Processes of mathematical communication in the classroom.
7. Problem-solving and problem-solving stages based on the preferential use of the Pólya model in the classroom.
8. Connections between mathematics and other subject areas.
The discussion method is used to introduce practical contents relating to the course unit.
Barros, M. e Palhares, P. (1997). Emergência da Matemática no Jardim-de-Infância, Porto Editora.
De Walle, J. et al. (2010). Elementary & Middle School Mathematics Teaching Developmentally. Pearson International Edition.
Ponte, J. e Serrazina, M. (2000). Didáctica da Matemática do 1º ciclo. Universidade Aberta.
National Council of teachers of Mathematics (2000). Princípios e Normas para a Matemática Escolar. APM.
Planas, N. e Alsina À. (Eds.) (2009) Educación matemática y buenas prácticas. Editorial GRAÓ